I am currently Senior Lecturer in the Department of English and American Studies. My academic interests include poetry, poetics, prosody, sound, punctuation, psychoanalysis, literary theory, and cognitive aspects of figurative language. I teach undergraduate and graduate courses in these subject areas, and I am always enthusiastic to chat about anything related to English and American poetry (among my current favorite poets are E.E. Cummings, Emily Dickinson, and Robert Creeley, but that list keeps changing!). Before my current appointment at Tel Aviv University, I was a visiting scholar for two years in the Department of English at NYU. In am currently the Department of English and American Studies' BA-student advisor and an advisor on teaching in the School of Cultural Studies.
Dr. Roi Tartakovsky
My academic interests include poetry, poetics, prosody, sound, punctuation, psychoanalysis, literary theory, and cognitive aspects of figurative language.
Tartakovsky, Roi. Surprised by Sound: Rhyme's Inner Workings. Baton Rouge: Louisiana State UP, 2021.
Articles and Chapters
1. Tartakovsky, Roi, David Fishelov and Yeshayahu Shen. “Not as Clear as Day: On Irony, Humor and Poeticity in the Closed Simile.” Metaphor and Symbol 34.3 (2019): 185-96.
2. Tartakovsky, Roi, and Yeshayahu Shen. "Meek as Milk and Large as Logic: A Corpus Study of the Non-Standard Poetic Simile." Language and Literature 28.3 (2019): 203-20.
3. Tartakovsky, Roi, and Yeshayahu Shen. "Flat as a Wall or Flat as a Butcher's Hand: The Poetic Simile and Second-Order Semantic Foregrounding." Scientific Study of Literature 8.2 (2018): 293-312.
4. Tartakovsky, Roi, and Yeshayahu Shen. "'Simple as a Fire': Making Sense of the Non-Standard Poetic Simile." Journal of Literary Semantics 47.2 (2018): 103-19.
5. Tartakovsky, Roi. “Rhyme Random: Robert Creeley’s Sporadic Rhymes.” On Rhyme. Ed. David Caplan. Liège: Presses Universitaires de Liège, 2017. 81-100.
6. Tartakovsky, Roi. “Acoustic Confusion and Medleyed Sound: Stevens’ Recurrent Pairings.” The Wallace Stevens Journal 39.2 (2015): 234-49. [Recipient of the John Serio Award for the best essay in the Wallace Stevens Journal for 2015]
7. Tartakovsky, Roi. “Free, Verse, Rhythm: An Introduction.” Style 49.1 (2015): 1-7.
8. Tartakovsky, Roi. “The Case for Pace.” Style 49.1 (2015): 65-77.
9. Tartakovsky, Roi. “Towards a Theory of Sporadic Rhyming.” Language and Literature 23 (2014): 101-17.
10. Tartakovsky, Roi. “E. E. Cummings’s Parentheses: Punctuation as Poetic Device.” Style 43 (2009): 215-47. [Reprinted in: Essays in Stylistics Vol. 2. Ed. Yu Shanzhi. Shanghai: Shanghai Foreign Languages Education Press, 2012].
11. Tartakovsky, Roi. “Rhyme and Nachträglichkeit.” Psychoanalytic Encounters: Interdisciplinary Papers in Applied Psychoanalysis. Ed. Aleksandar Dimitrijevic, Elizabeth Fox and Murray Schwartz. Belgrade: Belgrade University, 2009. 41-49.
Tartakovsky, Roi. Special Issue: Free Verse Rhythms. Style 49.1 (2015): 1-111.