TAU Data Protection Officer
The University has appointed Prof. Hagit Messer-Yaron as its Data Protection Officer (DPO).
The main tasks of the Data Protection Officer are:
- to implement the requirements of data protection legislation throughout the University
- to inform and advise the University and staff processing personal data of their obligations
- to monitor compliance, including the assignment of responsibilities, awareness-raising and training of staff, and related audits
- to provide advice where requested about privacy impact assessments and monitor their execution
- to act as the contact point for the Privacy Protection Authority on issues related to personal data
The role of the DPO is defined in the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) which is designed to enable individuals to better control their personal data. The DPO must be allowed to perform tasks in an independent manner, set the data protection strategy for the University and report to the highest management level in the University.
The DPO works closely with the University's Records Management Section, provides day to day support for staff on data protection matters.